It's time for some challenge.
I've noticed that I've been more hermit-like in the past months, keeping at home to avoid the struggle and embarrassment that is going out with an unpredictable child. I haven't taken Soren to the grocery store in a year (yay Amazon Fresh delivery); I do errands when Soren is at school or in therapy; I know where all the drive-through Starbucks are.
Can you guess whose challenges these are?
- One of us feels especially embarrassed by standing out in public
- One of us hates to have his hands held
- One of us likes to lie down in stores as a way of regaining some control
- One of us is fine with screaming in public when encountering new situations
- One of us is too big to fit in grocery carts (okay, make that two of us)
- One of us needs to be bribed with a drink to get through a quick errand (again, perhaps that's two of us)
- One of us is feeling increased guilt about not living life in the open
So here's a short list of our challenge targets. I'd like to tackle at least one a week.
- Coffee shop
- Grocery store
- Ferry trip
- Water playground in north Seattle
- U-pick berry farm
- Farmers' market
- Ice cream place
- Neighborhood dive bar (just checking to see if you're still awake)