Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A love letter to my son

My dearest boy,

I am so blessed to have you as my son. What an exuberant, complex, funny, cuddly, and adorable little man you are.

I love that I can see you smiling from behind, because your cheeks get apple-round. I love that your favorite thing in the world is to go swimming with Daddy. I love that you still prefer to fall asleep in the crook of my arm.

My day is brightened when I see you first thing in the morning, wrestling in bed or touching my cheek. I love your obsession with books and the way you tear up a bookshelf looking for just the right one. And I get such a kick out your new-found somersaulting skill. I think you're quite proud of that one, too!

You are such a brave boy. Some situations, events, and places are frightening, even excruciating for you. You try so hard to let us know why, and then you often surprise us by overcoming your fears and happily delving right back into those places.

You've shown me so much about how silly expectations are and how much better life can be when we stay in the here and now. You reveal to me every day how limiting words really are and how much we can communicate without them. You made me understand how a heart can be broken--wide open.

But let me be real clear on this: Your role is not to make us feel a certain way. You don't ever need to change our perspective, although that's exactly what you've already done. Your presence alone is what we adore. There's nothing for you to do to earn our love. We're already completely smitten.

Much love,
Mama

4 comments:

 

Give Me a Nap | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012