Monday, September 23, 2013

An easy transition (pinch me)

I wanted put in writing that things are okay for Soren at school. Actually more than okay--pretty darn good. There is no crying on the drive in to school, no crying as I say goodbye, no crying as I pick him up. No calls in the middle of the day. We can say the "s" word ("school") around him without starting a breakdown with panicked sobs.

Instead, when we speak of seeing Teacher David and Teacher Gabe, Soren grins. He helps me pack his backpack with his lunch and iPad. And as I drive the ten minutes to his school, he smiles the entire time. The teachers tell me he has great days. He even tolerated an all-school assembly for 45 minutes today, which is about 44 minutes longer than he tolerated assemblies last year.

I'm trying to accept this lack of anxiety as the gift it is, instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I can't think of anything in particular that we've done to ensure Soren's happiness at school, just as we couldn't think of a single way to help him when he was deep in anxiety.

Even if this contentment shifts into something different, I don't want to forget that this September, Soren loved school.
First day of first grade

1 comment:

  1. What a handsome guy. :) Thanks so much for sharing your story with the world. It's wonderful to "watch" Soren grow through your eloquently written posts.

    Lindsay (friend of the other Jenny)

    ReplyDelete

 

Give Me a Nap | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012